Welsh cakes cooked on the Cast Iron Griddle
A delicious recipe that is perfect for any occasion!
Using Black Rock Grill's cast iron griddle (available in our online shop)
- Self-raising flour 225g
- Salt 1 pinch
- Butter (or margarine) 100g
- Caster sugar 50g (plus extra for sprinkling)
- Currants 50g
- Egg 1 egg, beaten with 3 tbsp of milk
Back to recipes
- Simply mix the flour and salt together in a bowl
- Rub in the butter/margarine.
- Add the sugar and currants and mix together
- Pour the egg mixture and mix everything together until the dough is stiff
- Sprinkle some flour on the work surface and roll out the dough until it is 5mm thick
- Cut out with a pastry / cookie cutter
- Put the griddle on the hob/stove on a medium heat
- Put a little bit of butter on the griddle
- To test the heat sprinkle some water on the griddle, the water should jump up and down then evaporate very quickly
- Cook the cakes for about 3-4 minutes on each side, they will turn golden brown and have risen slightly.
- Welsh cakes are best served hot with a little caster sugar sprinkled on top